Our office assists landowners/contractors with pond construction. In order to ensure sound construction, a series of important steps need to be taken. Our office offers and highly recommends a landowner/contractor perform the three optional steps, prior to the seven required, to ensure proper placement and construction of a pond.
Design and Construction Process—-(requirements)
Optional but Highly Recommended Steps:
- Obtain general soil information, to determine suitability of site.
- Have a SWCD representative conduct a preliminary site investigation.
- Have a SWCD representative on site when test pits are dug to check the soil suitability for pond construction.
- Obtain a Stormwater Management and Erosion Control Permit Application from the Medina County Highway Engineer’s Office.
- Complete Pond Construction Plan standard from and return to SWCD Office.
- Our office reviews and ensures that all required information is complete and meets current standards.
- A visual site investigation will be completed by our office to determine if pond site appears as drawn on the plan, and that no apparent drainage problems will be created by construction.
- The reviewed Pond Construction Plan and the Pond Permit Application must then be submitted by contractor/landowner to the Township Zoning Inspector for township permit, if required.
- Construction can begin at this time, however, SWCD must be contacted to obtain an inspection for the completed pond.Final inspection report will be mailed to the landowner and the County Engineer for review.
Some ponds are governed by the state of Ohio, as a result, Ohio Department of Natural Resources has developed several fact sheets on Dam Safety.
For more information, contact Jim Smith, District Technician at 330-722-9317